Monday, November 25, 2013

Week 61: I Am Thankful!



Well I am grateful for today!

This week I have been listening to Christmas Music because why not? you can only listen to so much church music during the year ha ha, there is a song in particular that well we might all know its called Thankful by Josh Groban and well I have been thinking a lot about Gratitude and well since this week is thanksgiving I thought why not think about the Gratitude. in true to the faith it says "gratitude is an uplifting exalting attitude" you can probably say you are happier when you are grateful. when you are grateful you are thankful for the things around you and well you can express your gratitude by seeing everything that's around you. Borghil Dahl was one of these people. She was born in Minnesota in 1890 of Norwegian parents and from her early years suffered severely impaired vision. She had a tremendous desire to participate in everyday life despite her handicap and, through sheer determination, succeeded in nearly everything she undertook. Against the advice of educators, who felt her handicap was too great, she attended college, receiving her bachelor of arts degree from the University of Minnesota. She later studied at Columbia University and the University of Oslo. She eventually became the principal of eight schools in western Minnesota and North Dakota.

She wrote the following in one of the 17 books she authored: “I had only one eye, and it was so covered with dense scars that I had to do all my seeing through one small opening in the left of the eye. I could see a book only by holding it up close to my face and by straining my one eye as hard as I could to the left.”

Miraculously, in 1943—when she was over 50 years old—a revolutionary procedure was developed which finally restored to her much of the sight she had been without for so long. A new and exciting world opened up before her. She took great pleasure in the small things most of us take for granted, such as watching a bird in flight, noticing the light reflected in the bubbles of her dishwater, or observing the phases of the moon each night. She closed one of her books with these words: “Dear … Father in heaven, I thank Thee. I thank Thee.”

Borghild Dahl, both before and after her sight was restored, was filled with gratitude for her blessings.

In 1982, two years before she died, at the age of 92 her last book was published. Its title: Happy All My Life. Her attitude of thankfulness enabled her to appreciate her blessings and to live a full and rich life despite her challenges.

She expressed her Gratitude in all things by looking at all that god had given her. because she expressed this gratitude she was as it says in her book, Happy All My Life. In president Thomas S Monsons talk in Oct. 2008 general conference  entitled Finding Joy in the journey he says" This is our one and only chance at mortal life—here and now. The longer we live, the greater is our realization that it is brief. Opportunities come, and then they are gone. I believe that among the greatest lessons we are to learn in this short sojourn upon the earth are lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not. I plead with you not to let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and nonexistent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey—now." I remember in my house in Utah in our upstairs living room if its still there after 14 months, is a quote that says Life isn't measured by the number of breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away, something like that just give me some slack i have not seen it in 14 months, But this statement is true , life really isn't measured by the everyday things we do we might remember that we worked but that's all its measured by the time we took away to take our breaths away. like Ruben who just was baptized Friday and well a breath taking moment for him and for us as we saw his whole family come and give him a huge hug and tell them that they really care for him. as his daughters told him they love him and as his wife just could keep from crying that's a breath taker a mental picture that will always be with them. our lives are full of the breath taking moments and well our loving heavenly father really does bless us in so many ways. pour gratitude is a gift from god to praise him. President Monson continues, " I thoroughly enjoy many musicals, and one of my favorites was written by the American composer Meredith Willson and is entitled The Music Man. Professor Harold Hill, one of the principal characters in the show, voices a caution that I share with you. Says he, “You pile up enough tomorrows, and you’ll find you’ve collected a lot of empty yesterdays.” 


My brothers and sisters, there is no tomorrow to remember if we don’t do something today. what a statement by its really true we can always put things off til tomorrow then tomorrow comes and we put it off again we need to do something today and not leave it off til tomorrow. "Arthur Gordon wrote in a national magazine, and I quote:

“When I was around thirteen and my brother ten, Father had promised to take us to the circus. But at lunchtime there was a phone call; some urgent business required his attention downtown. We braced ourselves for disappointment. Then we heard him say [into the phone], ‘No, I won’t be down. It’ll have to wait.’

“When he came back to the table, Mother smiled. ‘The circus keeps coming back, you know,’ [she said.]

“‘I know,’ said Father. ‘But childhood doesn’t." the truth is i really cant relive my slipping away childhood i wish it would last a little longer but it doesn't. but i don't know did i really live it to the fullest? I can never relive a childhood soccer game I can never relive the time my parents would do anything just to have me water ski now they cant keep me out of the water. but did i ever thank my parents for the things they did for me? Did I ever tell my dad thanks for standing out in the pouring rain just to watch or coach my soccer games? did I ever thank my wonderful mom for always being home when i came home from school just to ask me how i was? If i didn't well then i must be a bad son! haha there are so many things that my parents have done for me just so i can find Joy in my journey. not just physically but spiritually as well. President Monson also says, "The ancient Roman philosopher Horace admonished, “Whatever hour God has blessed you with, take it with grateful hand, nor postpone your joys from year to year, so that in whatever place you have been, you may say that you have lived happily.” Let us relish life as we live it, find joy in the journey, and share our love with friends and family. One day each of us will run out of tomorrows.

In the book of John in the New Testament, chapter 13, verse 34, the Savior admonishes us, “As I have loved you, … love one another.” Have you loved one another as Jesus has loved you? have you tried to find kindness in all that you do? "Our realization of what is most important in life goes hand in hand with gratitude for our blessings.""In 1 Thessalonians in the New Testament, chapter 5, verse 18, we are told by the Apostle Paul, “In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God.”

Recall with me the account of the 10 lepers:

“And as [Jesus] entered into a certain village, there met him ten men that were lepers, which stood afar off:

“And they lifted up their voices, and said, Jesus, Master, have mercy on us.

“And when he saw them, he said unto them, Go shew yourselves unto the priests. And it came to pass, that, as they went, they were cleansed.

“And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God,

“And fell down on his face at his feet, giving him thanks: and he was a Samaritan.

“And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine?


“There are not found that returned to give glory to God, save this stranger.” Will you be the one that turns back and praises the lord after being healed? i sure hope so "Said the Lord in a revelation given through the Prophet Joseph Smith, “In nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things.”  May we be found among those who give our thanks to our Heavenly Father. If ingratitude be numbered among the serious sins, then gratitude takes its place among the noblest of virtues.

Despite the changes which come into our lives and with gratitude in our hearts, may we fill our days—as much as we can—with those things which matter most. May we cherish those we hold dear and express our love to them in word and in deed." May we ever Cherish the things god has given to us give thanks in all things, in closing I would like to quote Pres. Monson "I pray that all of us will reflect gratitude for our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

He taught us how to pray. He taught us how to serve. He taught us how to live. His life is a legacy of love. The sick He healed; the downtrodden He lifted; the sinner He saved.

The time came when He stood alone. Some Apostles doubted; one betrayed Him. The Roman soldiers pierced His side. The angry mob took His life. There yet rings from Golgotha’s hill His compassionate words, “Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.” 

Earlier, perhaps perceiving the culmination of His earthly mission, He spoke the lament, “Foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.”  “No room in the inn” was not a singular expression of rejection—just the first. Yet He invites you and me to receive Him. “Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.” 

Who was this Man of sorrows, acquainted with grief? Who is the King of glory, this Lord of hosts? He is our Master. He is our Savior. He is the Son of God. He is the Author of our Salvation. He beckons, “Follow me.”   He instructs, “Go, and do thou likewise.”  He pleads, “Keep my commandments.” 

Let us follow Him. Let us emulate His example. Let us obey His word. By so doing, we give to Him the divine gift of gratitude.

Be thankful in all things thanks be to god! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving here we will do something haha and well Express more gratitude especially in this time of season may god bless everyone of you in all your many things you are doing and all the many May we ever find joy in our journey.

I love you all!! we did have a baptism this week and well Ruben is doing great. tomorrow 2 new sisters will be coming into Juarez and well we will divide the area so hopefully we will do it well. thanks to every one and thanks be to god for all things that we have.

Elder Jaymes Monson

No comments:

Post a Comment